Lifestyle: taurine, part 1
Going online for self-tutoring about energy drinks, the tutor follows the leads as they come: more about taurine.
In yesterday’s post I began about taurine and reported that two sources suggest 3000mg per day, in most cases, is thought to be safe–I’m sure that’s for an adult.
Why is taurine in energy drinks, anyway? What possible benefit might it convey?
Supposedly, taurine (within safe dosage, of course) can offer the following benefits:
- Taurine can decrease anxiety.
- Taurine can promote fat burning.
- Taurine can increase insulin sensitivity.
- Taurine can elevate testosterone.
- Taurine is an antioxidant.
- Taurine can increase exercise performance, and may also help recovery.
- Taurine can help lower blood pressure.
- Taurine, with magnesium, can promote better sleep.
- Taurine, with caffeine, can enhance mental performance.
I suspect that several of the benefits above are not typically what people imagine when they reach for energy drinks.
Jack of Oracle Tutoring by Jack and Diane, Campbell River, BC.